While operating a mil there are various factors which affect the quality of oil produced. some primary operational concerns of an oil extraction mill is:
a.) Quality control
- Raw Material: Different seeds are the primary raw materials for oil expulsion industry. the quality of the raw material determines to large extent the quality of the oil produced from it. Regular supply of good quality seeds is essential for consistently maintain the quality of the oil.
- Design of the mill: in any mechanized system, the design and redundancy of the system can have a positive effect on the produce. In oil expelling industry, a correct design ensures better control of the process and increased yield. Wastage can be reduced with making requisite changes in the fundamental design of the mill. Better planning and organization avoids breakdowns and defaults.
- Fine tuning of essential conditions: Heat and moisture are two essential conditions of an oil expulsion industry. oil expulsion is an abrasive process in which the rubbing and squeezing action of the screw worm releases the oil from the seeds. Therefore a lot of heat generated in this process. The temperature inside the chamber affects the yield percentage and quality of the oil. If the temperature is higher than the prescribed limits it may lead to charring of oil, thus deteriorating the quality. Moreover heating can also reduce the cake quality which is an important commercial byproduct of oil expelling industry. The level of moisture present in the seeds can add up to the problems in extracting oil from them. High percentage of moisture results in improper cooking and low percentage on the other end leads to choking of the feed in the worm. Therefore an optimum percentage of moisture is maintained for best results.
- Controlling the feed rate and worm spinning rate is essential to avoid choking and maintaining yield.
b.) Maintenance of oil extraction machinery and mill
- Timely replacements
- Regular maintenance
- Abiding by the manufacturers guidance and instructions
- Frequent monitoring
- Keeping all the components in well-tuned condition
- Following the safety practices and guidelines.